The Academic College Levinsky-Wingate was established in 1912 and is the first academic teacher training
institution in Israel to teach in Hebrew. The College maintains high standards of academic quality and
is a leader in innovation. The Academic College Levinsky-Wingate offers a variety of programs: A Bachelor of Education (B.Ed.)
degree, a Master of Education (M.Ed.) degree (with and without a thesis) as well as a specialized program
geared to retraining academics for careers in education. The College also offers an M.Teach degree – a
Master of Teaching degree combined with teaching certification for secondary schools. In addition, there
are special programs created for specific populations.
The Academic College Levinsky-Wingate maintains collegial relations with the Ministry of Education and offers a
variety of activities for the professional development of teachers.
Graduates of the College integrate into the Israeli education system and leave their mark on it as
teachers, educators, managers and developers. There are currently more than 3,000 students studying
for first and second degrees as well as for teaching certification, and more than 3,600 teachers who are
studying for various other certifications or engaged in professional development courses in the College.
The College aspires to lead fundamental change in education and society by means of research, and
innovative pedagogy and technology. The College encourages its graduates to strive for the highest degree of
professionalism, intercultural sensitivity, and social involvement and for its scholar-teachers to perceive their
work as an integral part of their professional lives.
Human dignity and freedom
Generosity and cultural sensitivity
Creation and sharing of knowledge
Respect for cultural capital and heritage
The Academic College Levinsky-Wingate was established in 1912 in the Neve Zedek neighborhood of Tel Aviv.
Named after Elhanan Levinsky, a visionary who had died a year prior to its founding. This was the first
teachers’ College in the country to teach in Hebrew. With the establishment of the State of Israel in 1948
and the ever-growing need for teachers, the College continued to expand and in 1981 it relocated to its
present campus in north Tel Aviv, simultaneously merging with the College for Music Educators, founded
in Tel Aviv in 1945. A year later The Academic College Levinsky-Wingate was granted the right to confer academic
degrees by the Council for Higher Education, making it the first Israeli teacher education institution to be
honored with that distinction.
In that same year, the Levin Kipnis Center for Children’s Literature Research was inaugurated at the
campus, honoring an Israel Prize laureate who had taught at Levinsky from 1923 until 1956, and
authored some 800 stories and 600 poems for children. The Center serves as the Israel Section office of
UNESCO’s International Board on Books for Young People (IBBY).